Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Good Run

Finally, a good run. 

I was worried that the two 5Ks I ran two weeks ago might be the last of my running days until after the baby is born.  Every time I tried to run I would get winded, my legs felt horrible, and it was just awful.  It was easier for me to just walk and that's what I did. 

This morning Dave and I met with the group at the trail to do our weekly run.  I can't keep up with anyone anymore, obviously, so I usually just do a few miles while the rest of the group does a longer run.  I have been heading north on the path, mostly because there is a port-a-john about 3/4 of a mile up the path, but there's a little roll to this part of the path because it goes up and over the freeway.  This little bit of undulation causes me to have to walk.  Today I decided to go south on the path.  It's flat as a pancake, but has no port-a-johns.  The weather was perfect this morning - mid-40s and sunny.  I was wearing capris, a long sleeved shirt, a t-shirt, and light gloves, knowing that I was probably going to be doing more walking than running.  I started off jogging with zero expectations.  And things were great.  I hit the half mile mark and still felt like running.  I hit the one mile mark and debated turning back in case I was going to need to use the bathroom.  What's one more half mile, though?  So I kept going.  Finally, I was a mile and a half out so I turned around and kept running.  Then I chicked three women!  Yes, I actually passed people!  I finished the three miles with ZERO walking.  I could have gone more, but I didn't feel like I needed more. 

I'm really happy to still be running.  It may not be fast; it may not be pretty, but it's so refreshing.  I hope I can keep running for many more weeks.

No comments: