Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Safety Dance

We can dance if we want to...we can leave this world behind.

No seriously, there are a lot of saftey rules I follow when running. One, I only run during day light hours. I actually learned this the hard way when I was running in the dark and took a big spill because I couldn't see what I was doing. Two, I never jaywalk. I do this because I've had two warnings from police officers and getting a $60 ticket is not high on my list. Three, I try to stay on paths or at least on roads with wide berms. This one is hard to do when you live in a small town and there are no sidewalks. But, there is one safety predicament I seem to find myself in that I don't know what to do about.

Yesterday I did my run on a path I probably run 2-3 times per week. I was having a difficult run and was walking. Behind me I heard a russle in the field beside me. I turn around and there was a HUGE dog charging at me. I yelled "OH SHIT" and screamed at the dog "NO NO NO!" Luckily the dog stopped right at the edge of the path. The owners yelled for it and I told it to go home and it did. This isn't my first run-in with very large dogs. It seems to happen to me every couple of months, and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to carry mase because I'm afraid that it will accidently go off and spritz me and with my asthma I think that could be really bad. I wish people would keep their dogs securily in their yards or on a leash. I could have been killed by that dog yesterday.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

As a responsible dog owner, I agree with you. My dog is really very friendly, but when she's outside, she's on a leash or a longer tie-out, because we don't have a fence. I don't want her running off and getting hit by a car or getting into other people's yards. I get frustrated when I walk her in the neighborhood and there are loose dogs out. That hasn't happened recently, for which I'm especially thankful, becuase I've usually got her leash in one hand and am pushing the stroller with the other. It has happened to both Brian and me in the past, though. As much as I'm a "dog person", I still don't want dogs I don't know running up to me, getting into a fight with my dog, or whatever!! I hope that doesn't happen to you any more.