Thursday, February 15, 2007

You Spin Me Right Round, Baby

Right round, on a treadmill baby, right round, right round. I think that's the words?!

I don't know if y'all have been watching the national news, but if you have you know the midwest has just totally been socked in the gut by Mother Nature. One thing that has always been said about Ohio weather is, if you don't like it, stick around for a day it will change. And that's usually the case. But, it hasn't been the case this winter. We usually get snow in Ohio and it usually gets really cold, but usually the next day it's in the 40s and the snow has melted and everything is back to normal. It snowed on January 21st and we've had snow on the ground ever since. And it hasn't warmed up either.

Tuesday we got hit by a huge winter storm. It started snowing in the early hours of Tuesday and snowed at about an inch per hour. Around noon on Tuesday it started to rain/sleet and it continued for 12 hours. The entire city of Columbus shut down. All the malls closed. Restaurants closed. Businesses closed. It was eerily quiet outside; just like I remember it was from September 11th. Yesterday morning it started to snow again and continued through the day. And it turned bitterly cold again. Our average high temperature in the last month has probably been under 20 degrees. It's been just miserable.

Sunday I did something I wasn't very proud of. I paid to run a half marathon last Sunday and then didn't do it. I didn't even go and pick up the shirt. The temperature with the windchild was -13 degrees. This weather is wreaking havoc on my Boston training. I actually did 12 miles on the treadmill on Sunday. I did it in 3 mile increments, in between switching loads of laundry. Today I have 11 miles to run and I fear it's going to have to be on a treadmill.

All of those training in nasty weather right now, how are you getting through it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally someone 'fessed up to the treadmill thing. I keep reading other running blogs and checking on-line forums and nobody seems to be talking about how difficult it is to get out in these extreme conditions. Michigan has been getting the same sort of weather you've described. I've been wondering whether I've become a whimp or if the weather really is too bad to be running outdoors. I skipped last weekend's long run. I just couldn't face 14 miles on a treadmill. I've done every run this week indoors. I also have an April marathon (Louisville) scheduled. I'm getting concerned.

Meredith said...

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just snow as the trails get cleared here, but it's the cold that I think is so bad. I don't remember it being this cold in previous winters.

:) said...

Bad weather? Partly cloudy and 72 today... [ducks] :)

Sorry. I really am. I get so depressed in the cold and dark. I really don't know how you guys up north do it... Hopefully you will get some sun and warmth soon!