Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Speed Demon

Not to jinx it, but I think spring is on its way. The weather is getting warmer, the snow is almost completely melted, and the sun is out a little longer (thank you for changing that one, dudes in Congress!). And the big Boston Marathon is 5 weeks away, which means I need to put my wheels in motion and pull in some big miles and some serious speedwork.

Yesterday's scheduled workout was 8 miles with 5 X 600 at 5K pace. It turned out to be a little bit different. The girls team was running 5 miles and we decided to push them. With the warm-up and the cool-down I had done 6 miles right around an 8:00 pace. Then I started on my 600s which should have been at a 7:00/mile pace which would be 2:38. The first one was a little quick--2:16. Yikes! The remained four were 2:29, 2:28, 2:31, 2:30. I finished the day with 9.25 miles. I didn't have really high expectations for Boston, but maybe I shouldn't settle so quickly.

In other news, I googled Team StayPut this morning to see if anyone else had a blog and had written about it. And I found this one. Yikes! She's like a serious athlete. Dude, I'm seriously not worthy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also made Team StayPut and googled it and found your site and thought the same thing about you (that you were a great athlete!). I'm a back-of-the-pack runner so I'm definitely NOT worthy and I applied thinking I would never get picked! Congrats on being a part of the team!

Anonymous said...

I just got picked to Team StayPut too. I googled and found you and Page and I thought... I'm seriously in over my head. You are an awesome athlete too! Congratulations on the team. I look forward to getting to know you a bit more through the team.

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Count me in as a third! How very cool, ladies...

Anonymous said...

I also made Team StayPut and am so glad to see that there are others of you out there! I'm a middle of the packer as well, more likely to be giving high fives and waving at people than focusing on my heartrate! At least it's fun. I'm looking forward to hearing more from all of you this season!

Aimee.