Friday, August 08, 2008

Totally Stoked!

I don't know if it's the upcoming Olympics or the fact I am working with a coach for the first time, but I am more motivated than I have ever been. I am three weeks into my training schedule and I haven't missed a workout yet. I have been following all the rules--HR zones, nutrition, weight training, rest, ice, etc. And yesterday, I surprised myself.

This week has been a week of tempo workouts and yesterday's was the hardest one I have ever done. The workout was 8 miles with the middle 6 miles descending at 7:50, 7:40, 7:30, 7:20, 7:10, and sub-7:00. Since I seem to be the only runner left on planet earth without a Garmin, I had to run this on a track and keep track of my own pace. Want to know how I did it? Quarter mile splits and a piece of athletic tape. :)

The first three intervals went pretty well and then I started to freak out about how quickly the intervals were getting. But you know, what? I hit them. No, I destroyed them.

Interval 1 = 7:43
Interval 2 = 7:41
Interval 3 = 7:25
Interval 4 = 7:14
Interval 5 = 6:56
Interval 6 = 6:47

I have only run a handful of sub-7:00 miles and yesterday was the first time I have ever done them in a workout and the first time I have done two of them at once.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about all the good things to come.


Andrea Hill said...

Holy crap, you did awesome! Good job!!

Tri to Be Funny said...

DAMN!!! That's how to get it done!