Friday, August 08, 2008

Totally Stoked!

I don't know if it's the upcoming Olympics or the fact I am working with a coach for the first time, but I am more motivated than I have ever been. I am three weeks into my training schedule and I haven't missed a workout yet. I have been following all the rules--HR zones, nutrition, weight training, rest, ice, etc. And yesterday, I surprised myself.

This week has been a week of tempo workouts and yesterday's was the hardest one I have ever done. The workout was 8 miles with the middle 6 miles descending at 7:50, 7:40, 7:30, 7:20, 7:10, and sub-7:00. Since I seem to be the only runner left on planet earth without a Garmin, I had to run this on a track and keep track of my own pace. Want to know how I did it? Quarter mile splits and a piece of athletic tape. :)



The first three intervals went pretty well and then I started to freak out about how quickly the intervals were getting. But you know, what? I hit them. No, I destroyed them.

Interval 1 = 7:43
Interval 2 = 7:41
Interval 3 = 7:25
Interval 4 = 7:14
Interval 5 = 6:56
Interval 6 = 6:47

I have only run a handful of sub-7:00 miles and yesterday was the first time I have ever done them in a workout and the first time I have done two of them at once.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about all the good things to come.

2 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

Holy crap, you did awesome! Good job!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

DAMN!!! That's how to get it done!