Our last ultrasound was approximately six weeks ago. That was supposed to be our last ultrasound but because of the size of the baby (head was 99th percentile with the overall size about 76th percentile) the high risk doctor decided to do another ultrasound. This ultrasound will supposedly determine if we should be induced early. We had that ultrasound earlier this morning.
This ultrasound wasn't really about looking at all the parts and taking measurements, it was more about seeing the size of the head, the size of the body, and determining approximately the weight of the baby currently knowing we have three weeks left and the baby would gain about a 1/2 pound per week until the end.
The first measurement was the head and it was still in the 97-99th percentile range and exactly at 40 weeks. That's gonna hurt! We were really surprised to see how much hair the little bug had. Dave and I were both blonde babies and I fully expected to have a bald baby. Guess I'll have to pack a brush for the hospital so kiddo takes good pictures.
The next measurement was the amniotic fluid. We don't exactly know what the number means but the amniotic fluid was at 18cm. That's at the high end of normal. The good news is that not only am I losing the weight of the baby when I give birth, I have a lot of fluid that I'll be losing too.
Lastly was the belly measurement. The belly was also measuring at 40 weeks and in the 99th percentile. Good gosh this is a big baby!
The shoulders were measured too to make sure they weren't too big to get out and luckily, they were normal sized.
Overall, this baby is big. Really big. The measurements have us at 39 weeks plus. The baby is currently weighing 8 pounds 1 ounce, although the tech said it's probably a little higher than reality. The high risk doctor said he wouldn't recommend going all the way to my due date. Thursday we see our regular OBGYN so it will be interesting to see what she says. The thought of having an induction date makes me anxious but knowing that if I go all the way to my due date I have about 0% chance of having a vaginal delivery. Hopefully we'll have some answers by the end of the week.