Monday, May 09, 2005

I'm No Lance Armstrong

Hey! Congratulations to Grace Yang on completing her first half-Ironman. You're inspiring. And congratulations to Erin Ford for winning the daggone half-Ironman. You're a stud.

Anyway, I suck at bike riding. Two years ago I did a sprint triathlon that I bought a swanky bike for and I didn't do much riding then and I still don't today. Now that I've committed to this half-Ironman I should probably get out there and train on the bike since it is the majority of the race. So yesterday I went for a two hour ride on some country roads. My bike ride was less than 30 miles and I was only averaging around 15 mph. That's terrible!

My arms, neck, and shoulder were really sore so I thought I would go get some aerobars to help ease the burden. I went to a prominent bike shop in Dublin and got terrible customer service and when I finally did get help he did nothing but insult me and my bike and just kept telling me that I needed to be fitted. Yeah...and... Then he wanted to charge me $125 for the fitting and wouldn't even talk to me about aerobars until I got fitted. What a jerk! Needless to say, I walked out of the store without getting anything. Now I don't know what to do about getting fitted. I've asked some friends to help me and I'm wondering if there's somewhere else that will do it cheaper, much cheaper.

Any suggestions?

No comments: