Monday, August 27, 2007

Columbus 5K and Corporate Challenge


Yesterday I had the distinct pleasure of representing my company by participating in the Corporate Challenge. At first I was tapped to represent the 25-29 age group as part of the Columbus 5K. People! I hate the 5K. The first mile marker was way off and I passed in 5:30. I knew it was off, but I began to worry how fast I was actually going. The second mile marker I hit at 9:50. Yeah, obviously something was not right. I hit the 3 mile marker at 7:10. That one was probably correct. In the last 150 yards or so, I passed a girl who I thought was in my age group. I was really struggling though, and was on the verge of tossing my cookies so I had to slow up a little and she passed me back. Turns out she was in my age group. I finished 2nd in my age group with a 23:33. A friend of mine who was wearing a GPS said the course as 3.2 miles. Makes me feel a little better about my time.

There were also other events as part of the Corporate Challenge yesterday that I got "roped" into doing. Other events included push-ups, sit-ups, jump roping, standing long jump, and a shuttle run. I also participated in the jump rope competition and the standing long jump. I totally kicked a$$ in the jump rope by doing 290 jumps in 2 minutes. Our team won the jump rope competition. I was shown no mercy by being the smallest person in the standing long jump, but I held my own by at least jumping my height.

I don't think we won the competition yesterday, but I'm pretty sure we won the President's Cup which is the overall year-long competition.

No comments: