Monday, May 12, 2014

Taking Giant Leaps

Last Monday I put on my big girl panties and did something I was dreading.  I resigned from my job.

I have a great job.  It's all busy-work, which I love.  I can set my own hours.  I'm only part time.  My boss allows me to work from home.  It worked out that Dave and I could both work at the same company and not put the baby in child care.  So, why did I quit?

For us, it was the right decision. Working from home has become very difficult.  When Anderson was a baby I was able to put him in the swing or in the high chair and he would be content while I work.  Now he runs (crawls) around as fast as lightning getting into this and that.  And worse, he will often stand at my legs while I work and cry.  I just cannot do it anymore.  I waited a LONG time for a baby and he deserves my full attention.  My time at home is for Anderson.  When Dave comes home from work, it's family time.  The weekend's are family time.  And any time I may have for myself I want to spend for myself, not working.

So, I have two more weeks of work and then I'm official a stay at home mom.  I am both excited and terrified.  Financially I think we'll be okay.  The thing that frightens me most is the possibility that I could totally become a recluse and never leave the house.  Honestly, I am a terrible friend.  I don't feel comfortable calling people and setting up play dates or asking them to come over.  I'm way too shy for that crap.  :)  And I haven't quite figured out how to keep Anderson and I both entertained this summer.

Are you a stay at home mom or dad?
What are some activities that you and your kids enjoy doing?
How do I get my child out and about and keep him from becoming a recluse too?

I think it will be okay.  I believe we've made the right decision for our family.  It felt like a no-win situation.  I love my job, it affords me great flexibility, but I don't make enough money to put the baby in day care (nor do I want to) and I cannot continue working from home.  My job now is Mom.


2 comments:

..:danielle:.. said...

you guys can just come visit maine for a week(end?) and we'll go for some jogs and to the beach :)

Val said...

You need some friends who will just drop in on you. ;) You're close to little miss Susie, now, right? Take advantage of that time. I think that'd be a lovely arranged marriage, hehe!