Saturday, July 30, 2016

And Then Things Got Interesting

Of course. 

My manager texted me on Friday evening asking if he could call me.  This was the conversation I had been dreading - finding out if I got the job or not.  Honestly, I didn't want to answer the phone.  After a brief conversation I was offered the promotion.  I told him I would have to think about it, telling him I would let him know in the middle of next week.

Let's back up.

I mentioned in the previous post that I had applied for my old job, a job that I loved.  In addition to formally applying, I had gotten in touch with my previous lead (now manager) and when things didn't go anywhere with that conversation I even contacted my senior director (now vice president), someone who I know and trust and really like.  Friday afternoon she sent me an email letting me know someone would be in touch with me regarding a job within a certain department (not my previous job).  After some searching, The Husband and I figured out what job she was probably talking about.  A job I was well qualified for.  A big girl job.  A salaried job.  A responsible job.  I was/am excited. 

So when my manager offered me the job I had to tell him the truth.  I had to tell him that I had some other possibilities pending that I would need to let him know in a few days.  I didn't want to hurt his feelings or take him off guard.  He was very gracious and told me I needed to do what was best for my family.  I like him.  I hate that I may have to disappoint him.

There are a lot of thought rolling through my head right now.  I'd be crazy not to give the new job a chance.  It would be a great opportunity with a lot of options for advancement and a chance to shine.  But, I could also hate it and dread going to work and worry that I made the wrong choice of putting my child in daycare.  I also don't want to disappoint anyone.  Plus, I only have a few days to decide and technically, I don't have the other job yet.  I would be going into a decision blindly and hoping everything worked out.  Or I might just be unemployed. 

I hate decisions.  This makes me almost as miserable as not having any options.

2 comments:

Carina said...

No words of wisdom, but good luck with the decision!

Val said...

I love you! Any decision yet? =D We are all waiting (im)patiently ;)