Monday, December 13, 2004

Return to Running

Well, I'm kicking off "Return to Running" for the second time this year. I've made it through 7 weeks of recovery for my stress fracture. Now I'm allowed to return to training, but first I have to do about six weeks of walking/slow running. This made a lot of sense for my last fracture because I was in the boot for 10 weeks and spent 4 weeks on crutches and was not allowed to do anything. But this time I've been swimming and using the elliptical machine. I just don't feel that out of shape to have to spend the time walking. Also, I've been out of the aircast for about 4 weeks and have been walking. I just don't think my doctor knows how much waling I have to do at work. Oh well. I'm looking forward to getting back to running. Here's the schedule I have to follow. I started it yesterday. Each step has to be done a minimum of two times with no pain before moving on to the next step.

Step 1--10 minute walk
Step 2--20 minute walk
Step 3--10 minute walk, 10 minute jog, 10 minute walk
Step 4--5 minute walk, 20 minute jog, 5 minute walk
Step 5--30 minute jog, 50% intensity, every other day
Step 6--30 minute jog, 75% intensity, every other day
Step 7--40 minute jog, 75% intensity, every other day
Step 8--40 minute jog, 100% intensity, every other day
Step 9--50 minute jog, 100% intensity, every other day
Step 10--60 minute jog, 100% intensity, every other day
Return to Full Training

No comments: