Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up

Wow! That was a big week of training and I did a pretty good job at it.

The week started with a muscle-busting bike trainer ride. It was a sweat-fest, but I totally rocked it. I also rocked the 3000m swim I had too, even if there was a little lane rage. I got through a split long run (half was on Tuesday evening, the other half Wednesday morning). My longest swim of my life, until next week, was on Thursday. Although I was starting to feel the weight of the week, I was still getting things done.

Prepping for my long ride...
The week ended with my very first bike ride over 4 hours. Dave's knee has been bothering him so this bike ride was my first long ride all by myself. I spent 5 hours trying to navigate unfamiliar roads and unfamiliar mental territories. It wasn't as hilly as I had planned. It wasn't as fast as I had hoped. But, I got through 75 challenging miles and tackled my inner demons. I was supposed to run off the bike for 20 minutes, but as I finished the ride I heard my first crack of thunder. Driving home it only sprinkled. Man, I really wish I had done that run.

As for my personal goals for the week, I did pretty good at getting up and getting moving and going to bed on time. I did not do so well on eating in. Dave and I are so exhausted by the end of the day it's hard to get motivated to cook dinner. Dinner is usually at 9pm, so ordering something is soooo much easier.

For my long ride I tried the new Ironman Perform, which will be the sports drink for all upcoming Ironman and Ironman 70.3s. It's okay. Not great, not terrible. It's not as syrupy as Gatorade, which is nice because it doesn't sit heavy in the stomach. But I also don't think it has much flavor. I tried the lemon-lime which actually tasted to me like watered-down apple juice. I'm lucky that I have a pretty solid stomach so I'll continue to train with Gatorade and substitute with Ironman Perform whenever I have it, so I'll be ready for race day.

....which, if you're counting down, is in about 2 months. Yikes!

2 comments:

Maggs said...

I love your life list. So glad blogger has some new formatting options too.

Jamie said...

Haha! That is an awesome list.

Someone asked me this week what I eat for Ironman training. My answer, anything within reach.