Friday, October 26, 2012

The Lord of the Ring

Dave and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last month.

When we got engaged, Dave bought me a beautiful diamond engagement ring and then a matching wedding band, which also had diamonds in it.  Several years after we got married I took the rings to get clean and inspected and was informed that I had three diamonds loose on the rings.  They told me not to wear them to bed, to bathe, to sleep, to workout, etc.  So, I started wearing my rings only to work.  Fast forward to 2009 and the terrible running accident I had where I destroyed my ring finger. While I wasn't wearing my rings when I fell, thank goodness, my finger was so swollen for a year that I couldn't wear my rings for a very, very long time.  After that, though, I was working from home and stopped wearing my wedding rings all together.

For a while now, what seems like years, I have been asking for a plain, no frills wedding band that I could wear all the time and not worry that it was going to get damaged or have the diamonds ripped out of it.  Every holiday, birthday, special event I would ask for one, and each time I wouldn't get it.  (Although, I should mention that Dave is an amazing gift giver and always got me something awesome.)  For our tenth anniversary I thought for sure I was finally getting this ring.  I began opening my gift - some candy, a $25 iTunes card, and an aluminum covered candy ring.  You have got to be shitting me.  This is it?!  I got you tickets to the OSU football game!  But it was all a surprise; he the aluminum covered candy ring was a hint to let me know you had picked out a ring at the jewelry store and wanted me to come get sized for it.

The day of our anniversary I was still pretty early in my pregnancy and not feeling so hot.  We went out to dinner, which was just about all the energy I could muster, and then walked over to the Diamond Cellar.  Usually I don't mention names of stores, etc. in my blog posts, but I'm totally going to call them out on the service (or lack thereof) later in this blog.  We found the ring he had wanted; a cobalt plain wedding band.  Why cobalt?  Well it doesn't scratch, which is great for my active lifestyle (although, if it is dropped, it can shatter - tensile strength = bad).  Now, I am a tiny girl and my wedding ring size - a 4-1/2.  We ordered the ring, at a great price, and went on our way.

The next week was when I began all my blood testing for Baby Gordon.  The day I got my tests back with the mixed results, I cried a lot.  I mean, big crocodile tears, a lot.  And then Dave came home and crushed my spirits even more.  Turns out, the Diamond Cellar had called Dave and let him know that the ring we had ordered only came in sizes 6-13.  We took a trip down to the store where they tried to talk us into a gold wedding band that was nearly $400 more expensive than what we had bought.  I basically told the gentleman to go eff himself, that I could get a tattoo there for $50.  Dave said he would find me something cheaper online, but I didn't care.  My hopes were crushed and I had more expensive things to worry about, like my new high risk pregnancy.

Several weeks passed and I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed that Dave had only bought me a $25 iTunes card for our 10th anniversary.  I let him know it too.  I didn't really care what he bought me, but I really wanted something before Christmas.  Earlier this week he came home and told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands.  He laid a big, lightweight package in my hands.  I opened my eyes and it was a model rocket?  WTF?!  Dave and I are both engineers by trade and enjoy crap like this, but this was my anniversary present?  Yeah, thanks.  And then he pulled a small package from his back pocket and it was a beautiful, white gold wedding band.  I put it on then and haven't taken it off.  It's perfect.  He's perfect.


No comments: