Thursday, August 27, 2009

Trippin'

I chose the wrong week to stop drinking.

This morning I headed out on my run. Not even a mile into it, I rolled my right ankle which caused me to fall on my left side. I did a little damage to my knee. This picture does not do all the cuts, scrapes, and bruises justice.



That wasn't the first part. When I fell I landed on my left hand smooshing my fingers straight back. Immediately I knew something was really wrong. My left ring finger was throbbing and REALLY painful. I took some deep breaths trying to keep myself from getting sick. I tried to jog home, but my fingers were throbbing so badly I couldn't. I got home, called the doctor and made an appointment for later in the day. My ring finger was swelling bigger by the minute and turning lovely shades of black and blue.

The doctor saw my knee first. "Oooh!", he said. "That looks bad." Then I showed him my finger. He sent me directly to X-ray. She didn't have a hard time figuring out what she was supposed to get film of. Then he showed me the pictures. Broken. Crap! I chipped part of the bone off in my knuckle. He put it in an ugly split. That's going to be lovely when I'm a bridesmaid next week. I go back in two weeks for more X-rays. And, there is no swimming for probably a month. At least I can run.



Thank goodness I don't wear my wedding rings when I run or else they would have been cut off today.

9 comments:

Molly said...

Someone get that girl a drink!!! Hope it starts feeling better in a day or two!

Erin said...

Ouch. My friend broke her finger not long before her wedding and wasn't stoked about the splint, but I believe she took hers off for the day. Provided you don't have to wear the tensor, if you just have a splint you can paint it pretty colors to match the bridesmaid dresses. I think she painted hers with nail polish or something.

BTW, I was totally hoping you had a photo showing all the black and blue colours of your finger.

Karen said...

OUUUUUCH! Hope you feel better soon!

D said...

You straight trippin, grrrrrrl.

Dumbass.

(my comment was not anonymous so you can't call me a hater)

Meredith said...

D, I think I said the same thing about myself last night like 100 times.

Dave said...

Sadly, you probably weren't going for the "Airplane!" reference, but the first sentence made me laugh anyway. You should have gone with "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue" or "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines". :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY girl! you poor thing!

Cilla said...

OUCH!

Val said...

While you were at the doctor's, did he notice your eyes? Have you found any relief for them? Poor Mer!