Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday's Menu: Worst Edition

With following a new "diet", Dave and I have tried out a lot of new recipes.  We have bought some cookbooks, Googled things, and even tried out recipes from Pinterest.  We have loved the plantain recipes we have tried and have made some good meat dishes in the crock pot.  But the other day we tried a recipe that was just disgusting.

We were having chicken for dinner and I wanted some barbeque sauce for it.  If you haven't noticed, all BBQ sauces have sugar and/or honey in them.  Big no-nos on the Whole30 diet.  So, we found a recipe that seemed simple enough and thought we would try it out.  Without giving away the website, here is the recipe:

3/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
10 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon coconut oil

I followed the instructions as they were given.  I tasted it and it tasted like tomato sauce that someone had spilled orange juice in.  So I added some cayenne pepper.  Still all I could taste was the orange juice.  I threw in some red pepper.  Still orange juice.  I tried some seasoned salt.  I had Dave tried it.  He said, "Ew!  Tastes like orange juice!"

We threw it away and just ate the chicken without any topping.  And it tasted just fine.

No comments: