Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Way Back Machine--My First Marathon

This past weekend while running with Mary and Molly, I started thinking about my first marathon. Molly is training for her first one and it was fun to listen to her descriptions of training and reminisce. I remember training for my first marathon: how excited I was just to run 5 miles without stopping and how daggone tired I was all the time. I've always kept a journal about my running. Today I found my first marathon race report. It's short and sweet but I thought it would be funny to share.

Chicago Marathon 2001

It's over! Thank goodness. The day started really cold--only around 40 degrees. I decided to wear long sleeves and shorts. The start was quite warm because there were so many people standing around. Once the gun went off it took me 10 minutes to even get to the start line. The first half of the race went very well. It too me 6 miles to get back on a 9:55 pace and by 13 miles I was thee minutes ahead. However, starting at 13 my legs started to hurt and I began to feel tired. I took a PowerGel at the half way point. I don't really know if it helped. One of the women I came to Chicago with caught me at 13 and ran with me until the next water stop. I lost her there because I desperately needed a drink. Miles 13-18 were a blur. I do know during that time we ran through the slums and a Mexican village. Starting at 18 I had had enough. I walked several times between 18-24, including all water stops. I was so frustrated with myself that I would start crying and had to stop because I couldn't breathe. I also got choked up going through the tunnel because they were playing "Chariots of Fire." I ran all the way from 24 to the end. I didn't reach two of my goals: (1) don't walk and (2) finish in 4:20, but I am satisfied. I think I did pretty well. I am looking forward to a little break and then I will start running again. Halleluia, though, it's over.

No comments: