Monday, March 07, 2011


This is my last big week before the marathon taper begins. And today kicked off the week with my last 20 mile run.

I have to admit, I was not looking forward to this run. I knew it was going to be cold; I would have to do it by myself; I had to carry a water belt (more on this later this week); and with the season in full swing, I have to admit I'm a little tired of training. I psyched myself up, though, and got my stuff together on Sunday. I woke up this morning with purpose and ready to go. It was time.

The run looked like this: several miles of warm up, more miles at race pace, a couple miles faster than race pace, and finish up with a short cool down. Okay, it was more specific than that, but I have a coach and I'm gonna protect her work. :) I started and wanted to keep my warm up pace around 9:00. But 9:00 came and went and suddenly I was doing 8:55s, then 8:50s, and then sub-8:50s. I thought, "crap, that's too fast to start out." I felt too good, though and just kept with it. The warm up came and went and it was good. The next part was a race pace. I started around 8:30s, dropped to 8:15 for several miles, and then finally was averaging around 8:05s. Perfect. Things were going well. The next part of the run dropped the pace below race pace. At this point I was late in the run and wondered how this was going to go. Surprisingly I dropped the pace down below 7:45s and was just cruising. Finally I cooled down around an 8:20 pace. I finished those 20 miles in 2:47:24, for an 8:22 overall pace.

The big run training is over. It has been awesome! I nailed every long run. I've done every short run. I haven't missed any marathon training. My body feels good. My mind is in the right place. I may not be as fast as I've been for previous marathons, I'm definitely feeling more fit, more ready for this marathon. I'm ready.

Checkmate, Marathon.


Kacie Darden said...

FANTASTIC! Taper time!

Betsy said...

awesome! I never quite know what to do when I start out too fast but feel good. I usually decide to go with it and if I pay for it later I guess it's a lesson learned. But most of the time it turns out like your run - some days you just got it and it feels damn good! You've nailed the training and that's the hard part. The race should be a ton of fun for you!

Colleen said...

You rock sista! :) Take care of yourself during taper and this race is yours!

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

Great run! You are so ready!

Laura Wheatley said...

NICE- now make sure you NAIL your taper- don't let all the hard work you've done so far go to waste - active recovery (hellooo recovery pump), nail all the (short) workouts too, etc..

You GOT this!!