Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Running Survey

I saw this on Melissa's blog and since I have zero creativity anymore, I thought I would use it to create a somewhat interesting blog entry. :)

What is your favorite type of cross training?
Swimming. Definitely swimming. I find it relaxing, destressing, and feels good on my sore body.

What is your favorite song to run to?
I run with an iPod, but truth be told, when returning from a run I couldn't name 3 songs I heard on the run. Olympic themed music usually pumps me up, though.

What brand of shoes do you wear?
I am currently using three different types of shoes: Saucony Omni, Saucony Fastwitch, and Avia Bolts.

Do you wear a hat when you run?
I ALWAYS wear a hat when I run. My favorite is my tattered Boston Marathon 2006 hat that my parents bought me for my birthday. It's lucky and I try to wear it for every race and every long run.

What temperature is your favorite for running?
40s or 50s. The colder the better.

Do you have any big races coming up?
Yes. That's all you need to know.

What is your favorite distance?
I like anything longer than 10 miles. I'm not fast enough for the short stuff, but I tend to get a little faster with each passing mile for the longer stuff. I will always love the marathon.

Are you a morning, noon, or evening runner?
I love to run in the morning and get it out of the way. Although, I prefer to get up when my body naturally wakes up and not when the alarm clock goes off.

Do you run solo or with a buddy?
I do all of my training solo. It gives me time to think and reflect on my own training and goals.

What is your favorite post run snack?
Chocolate Ensure when it's warm outside and hot chocolate when it's cold.

What is your favorite race?
Boston Marathon. There's nothing else like it.

Do you wear a Garmin? If not, how do you track your distance?
I only use a Garmin or heart rate monitor when I have to. Usually I use it only in practice because my workouts can get complicated with different types of intervals. When racing, I like to race by feel and not worry about pace. My workouts are designed on time, not distance, so the Garmin was never really intended to determine distance.

What is my least favorite race?
I don't know that I have a least favorite race. My least favorite distance is the 5K. Not only is it too short and too fast for what I can physically do, I think they're too expensive. $30 for 3 miles is ridiculous. I'd rather spend $30 on a half marathon. At least there I'm getting my money's worth.

Where is your favorite medal from?
Boston Marathon. Didn't I mention that already. :)

Who is your running idol?
I love Meb Keflezighi. I think he runs with a lot of heart. I also love to watch Mirinda Carfrae run. She holds nothing back.

How long have you been a runner?
I just celebrated my tenth anniversary of distance running. I did my first marathon in 2001. I ran track in high school, though, as a sprinter. The last two years have been solely devoted to triathlon.

Do you run with your wedding/engagement ring on?
No. I only wear my wedding ring on special occasions. After breaking my finger almost two years ago, and not being able to fit my ring for a whole year, I've just gotten used to naked fingers.

What is your favorite workout? tempo? long run? fartlek? repeats?
That pretty much sums up every workout. The coach and I believe in low volume with more "stuff" in each workout. Each workout is a challenge.

What is your favorite place to run?
I am lucky to live close to a country club that has miles and miles of walking trails. I usually run from my house down there. I also have a favorite ten mile route that runs from the high school, past Abercrombie, and back.

Do you use Gu?
I use all kinds of different nutrition: First Endurance sports drink (lemon lime), EFS liquid gel (vanilla), Power Gel (strawberry banana), Gu Chomps (strawberry). I buy all of mine in bulk. It's cheaper.

What do you drink to keep hydrated?
I use sports drink on the bike and water on the run.

What do you take with you on a run? Does it vary by distance?
I almost always carry water with me, even if it's just for a short distance. I carry a handheld water bottle for anything under an hour, and I'll carry a full waist waterbelt for anything over an hour. I usually carry a key too and any nutrition I need. I always wear my RoadID. On the bike I carry along a cell phone and my driver's license too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this list... I think maybe I'll steal it since I'm super uncreative these days as well!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

I'm thinking its okay to borrow post ideas once and awhile! It was a good one. I like to run the 5ks but am being turned off by them also..too much money for 20-30 minutes!

Velma said...

I am going to steal this as well :)

Unknown said...

I liked reading your post and thanks for the shout out. We are quite a bit alike! I may have to give Chocolate Ensure a try!

Beccah said...

I like this post. I may tweak it and use it for triathlon sake.
Thanks for just keeping up with the blogging. Consistency counts!