Thursday, August 06, 2015

Mixing it Up

I work with a lot of young (and I mean YOUNG - I'm old enough to be their mother), health and fitness kiddos at the Y.  Most of them are current or former swimmers although some have done other sports.  One of them is a former division II wrestling stud.  They talk a lot about workouts and especially what they eat in during their days.  They eat so healthy!  I eat so unhealthy.  :(

But, I've got some weight to lose and running is starting to come into focus so I figured now is the right time to get, at least, somewhat serious about it.  I bought a MagicBullet.

Why?  I don't know.  I guess juicing and smoothies and whatnot is supposed to be good for you.  I don't particularly like smoothies, but I can try.  Our tastes change as we get older, right?

My first smoothie was some cashew concoction.

Kale, coconut oil, coconut flakes, cashews, banana, strawberries, almond milk.  Yuck.  The reason I don't like smoothies is that you have to chew them a little. 

But I tried again the next day.


Strawberries, celery, avocado, apple, beet, ice, coconut water.  Maybe something else?  And this time I got smarter and drank it with a straw so there was less chewing.  This one was pretty good except all I tasted was celery.  I don't like celery.  Yuck.  Maybe next time I'll make it without the celery.

So far I haven't been in love with these smoothies, but I'll keep trying.  Even if I just drink a little I'm getting some nutrients and healthy stuff and eating less calories. 

Why is it so hard to be healthy and skinny and fit?

2 comments:

tri like mary said...

I felt the same way about smoothies so kind of eased myself into it by starting out with ones that were easier to stomach. My favourite was (and still is) almond milk, frozen banana, scoop of peanut butter, and vanilla protein powder. If you start with that kind of thing (fruits ones mostly), then start slowly adding small amounts of things like avocado, small handful of spinach or kale over time, then your taste buds might acclimate. Just my two cents and what worked for me!

Carina said...

I do breakfast smoothies every single day and love them, but I blend the $hit out of them, so no chewing. I do some spinach and kale on the bottom of the blender, then a frozen fruit blend (the one we buy is pineapple, mango, peaches, strawberries and grapes) and a few frozen beets (they make the color much better), then I pour carrot juice for 3 counts, then soy milk for 3 counts. And blend repeatedly. Usually when it's thoroughly blended, I add Vega protein powder, ground flaxseed and chia seeds. Actually, one of the only things I really hate about traveling (work or pleasure) is missing my breakfast. I love my smoothies so much!