Monday, August 03, 2015

Physical Therapy

I've been doing physical therapy now for three weeks.  The goal is to strengthen my hip and the muscles surrounding.  My first visit we discovered I have no muscles, which is why I have stability issues and injuries. 

The first week consisted of simple leg lifts and Steamboats (that's my doctor's office in the video).  I also learned some stretches for my cranky hamstring that has been bothering me for the better part of a year.  Those exercises were enough.  My hip area was on fire.  I even had to stop some of the exercises because I just didn't have the strength.  I did those exercises on my own 3-4 times during the next week.

The second week we continued with the leg lifts and Steamboats and added some more exercises.  First was single leg squats with the other leg in front, to the side 45 degrees, and to the back 45 degrees.  That's a LOT of single leg squats, y'all!  Next was a single leg "pencil pickup".  Think of it like those Drinking Birds.  Finally there were hip hikes.

This morning was my favorite physical therapy session.  I was introduced to this:

An anti-gravity treadmill

First they put me in a pair of neoprene shorts, like a wetsuit.  Then I was zipped inside up to my waist.  It fills with air and calculates your weight.  Finally you select the percentage of body weight at which to run and start the treadmill.  I started with a walk which was WEIRD!  I had the treadmill set high, 65%, which was like walking on the moon.  I kind of bounced and there was nowhere to put my arms.  I looked like an old lady power-walker.  After I few minutes I increased the speed and kept doing it every few minutes.  My last few minutes were at a 9:50 pace.  The running felt pretty good.  I didn't have any pain in the area of my stress fracture, but I did have the cranky hamstring and a little bit of tenderness on the outside of my hip area.  With each exercise, though, it is getting stronger and less tender.
I am now doing some jogging outside, although still mostly walking.  I will continue on the Alter G treadmill at physical therapy until I can fully run.  The good news is I'm getting stronger and I'm no longer in pain.  Real running is coming soon.

1 comment:

Carina said...

I had some hamstring pain that was pretty significant in the last 9 days or so. Got it checked out finally this past weekend and one of the suggestions was a sports massage, and if it still wasn't resolved in another week, trying an alter-g treadmill for at least some of my weekly miles. Fortunately, I think I can safely say it's resolved (knock on wood), but I am intrigued by the idea of trying one just for fun once.