Thursday, November 18, 2004

NAHS Track and Field

In addition to my busy schedule of being a full-time engineer, training for marathons, and trying to start my own photography business, I also am an assistant track coach for New Albany High School. This will be my fourth year coaching. I personally coach the distance events: 800, 1600, 3200, and the 4X800 relay. Since the time I went to high school at New Albany our track team has grown from 14 members (12 girls, 2 boys when I was a sophomore) to 75 members in 2004. We have come long strides (no pun intended) in the last four years. My first year coaching I didn't have anyone qualify for regionals and usually it was the distance kids who the ones NOT contributing to the team score. Last year it was the distance kids who were the main factors in the team scores. In addition we had the girls 4X800 relay, 2 girls in the 1600, and one girl in the 3200 qualify for regionals. The boys had a district champion in the 1600. This past fall our girls cross country team qualified to state and our boys qualified to regionals. So, I'm quite looking forward to track season.

Track season "officially" starts in March, but winter training will start in January. I'll keep y'all posted about our track season.

No comments: