Monday, November 15, 2004

Running Group

When I tell people that I'm a runner and that I spend hours every Saturday doing a long run, I immediately get this response..."How do you run for that long? That's so boring!" Here's the thing...whoever trains for a marathon by him/herself is crazy. I have never trained by myself. That's why running is not boring to me; it's social. When I started, I trained with a group called Marathoner-in-Training headed up by Premier Sports. I trained with them until I qualified for Boston, then I started training with my dad and his group. The group I train with now is an eclectic bunch of folks. Andy, who is the unofficial leader, can tell any joke with a serious face and during most of the year rides his bike instead of drives a car. Bridget is what my mom might call a "Forgetful Jones." Bridget tends to show up right at the last minute and always forgets something like her shoes or wears her shorts backwards. She has also stepped on a bird while running. Ha ha! Nancy is the speed demon and loves to eat. Junior (Brian) is the lazy one. He and his wife Mandy were both runners in college and are expecting their first child. They're also moving to Cleveland so I don't know how much we'll see them anymore. Andrea is the newbie of the group. She and I do a lot of running together and do a lot of talking while we're running. I'm sure people wish we'd just shut up. Daryl is a certified meteorologist and knows everything about every sport. Big Jelly is just pure comedy. During the Boston Marathon he ran with a camera and stopped and took pictures of himself along the route. He also ate fried chicken and drank a beer during the race. There are more that come and go and each of them have a unique personality. I'll try to post a picture sometime.

No comments: