Thursday, January 13, 2011

Product Review: CEP Calf Sleeves

I broke down and bought a pair of calf sleeves. I've really been conflicted about this purchase as (a) I didn't want to look weird wearing them and (b) I didn't really know if they worked. But after three good reviews from people I actually knew I thought it was time to get some.

I bought the CEP black calf sleeves in the smallest size they had available. Why CEP? Well, it's what was available at the local Road Runner Sports and because Dave and my dad love the socks. I got the black ones because I tend to rub my feet against my calves when I run and because sometimes I might pee on myself while running a race. :) White obviously would not have worked.



I have worn them now for two long runs: 13 and 14 milers. And I'm not sure they did anything at all. I take that back. My upper calves felt great after those runs, but my lower calves were extremely sore. I tend to be a forefoot striker as the pace picks up so when I get to the recovery parts of my runs, I notice how tight my achilles/lower calf is. The calf sleeve did nothing for this. I don't know if wearing the full socks would help this but that's not something I'm willing to try. I'm kind of picky about my running socks so I prefer to wear them. The calf sleeves have also helped keep my lower legs warm during these winter months, although I'm not sure they were meant to be worn as leg warmers. I am going to continue to wear them during my long runs at least through the marathon and then decide if I'll continue to wear them. Heck, they might help me on the bike too!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

We could be CEP twins! I have the same sleeves. I've never worn them during the run but always toss them on after for recovery and I am a believer they really help.

Shannon (IronTexasMommy) said...

Thanks for the review! I've been a little on the cynical side of the fence, so I haven't purchased any yet. Good call on the black! ;)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

If you submit a finishline photo with your socks on, they give you one free pair, check there site for details

jessithompson said...

I actually find that they are more helpful for recovery *after* a run. I even sleep in mine.

Meredith said...

I wear my full socks after my tough workouts.

Unknown said...

I have some Zensa calf sleeves & I love them.

Anne said...

About the peeing... do your shoes ever smell cause mine stink to high heavens!

Velma said...

I have never worn my for a run, but they look good (if that counts). Keep us updated!

LittleRachet said...

Like others have said - I wear my socks/sleeves for recovery (usually when I sleep). Haven't ever tried it for a run. Have been considering them for the marathon portion of my 140.6 in May - mostly because I remember my legs feeling so tired that even the slightest bit of jiggling seemed to zap more energy from me. Whenever I put them on, my legs always feel so great, so I am considering adding them to my race plan. Like you, I'm picky about what socks I run in though. I prefer the Recovery Sock brand for my compression stuff. (Have CEP but still prefer Recovery Sock)