Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard

I was watching the local news this morning while eating my breakfast.  Now, I don't put a lot of stock in our local news as it's usually terrible and I was crazy tired, but this was the story I heard.  They were doing a piece on the state legislature and how they were introducing a bill to be tried out in three counties that would test welfare recipients for drugs.  That makes sense.  So far so good.  Here's where it gets a little crazy.  Those individuals on welfare would receive a questionnaire that would ask them if they have used drugs and then if they answered yes they would have to submit to a drug screen.  The drug testing would be paid for by the individual but if they passed it then it would be reimbursed.  Um, what?  Let me get this straight.  We're going to ask somebody if they do drugs, then test them, and if it comes back no they get their money back?  First of all, you're going to ask them first?  If they say no then it's all done?  And if they say yes and then pass the test, we're okay with them lying?  I'm so confused.

To make sure I wasn't crazy this morning, I looked up the story.  Lo and behold what I heard is absolutely true.  Check it out here.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm not on drugs (now).

Can I get some free money too?

Unknown said...

Um... yeah, that is dumb!!!

Heather @ Running with Heather said...

Your morning news stories sound as awful as ours. That makes absolutely no sense. You think someone would have figure that out before it actually became news, haha.