Wednesday, May 09, 2012

No Rest For The Weary

With four weeks to go until my next half marathon it was time to get back on the track for some speed work.  Dave joined me this time and I waited until we actually got to track to tell him what the workout was.  I was afraid it would scare him enough to not come with me.

1 mile warmup
3 X 2000 between 8:24-8:28 (approximately a 6:40 pace)
400 rest interval in between
1 mile cool down

It quickly became clear how tired and sore I still was from the race this past weekend.  Yet, I went out and busted the first interval at a 8:12, hitting the mile in 6:30..  Good gosh, Meredith!  Slow down!  The second one I tried to pace better and finished in an 8:26, with the mile at a 6:42.  The last one was the biggest struggle.  I hit the mile in 6:45 and wasn't sure I would have the energy to pull together to hit the target.  But, I mustered all the strength I had and finished the last lap in 1:34 to eek out a 8:24.  Success!

Dave made it through two thirds of the workout until his stomach said enough.  He was able to pull through two more 400s and then call it a day.  He hasn't been training as much so I'm proud that he did that much of the workout.  Of course, I expect he's going to be doing some more training with me this summer.  Wink, wink.

Today I'm pretty sore.  My lower calves are screaming.  There's no rest for the weary, though.  Tomorrow is tempo work.

2 comments:

Bill Fine said...

killer workout, Merideth! That's some serious speedwork!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Good job! Whew! I am doing intervals today. I have a love/hate relationship with them! But my goal is only a 7 min mile. So we shall see! Good luck with the tempo run!