Monday, June 06, 2005

Brutal!

Brutal! Just brutal! That's about the only way I can describe the duathlon I did yesterday. The race was a 5K run, 40K bike, 10K run. As the weather is in Ohio, it happened to be the hottest day of the year during this race and there was no warning. Thursday's weather was in the 60s. Sunday's weather was in te 90s. The first run went over the dam at Deer Creek and included a grassy cross country run. After the first run I was sitting in second place right behind the first place woman. She got out of the transition faster than I did and I didn't see her again. On the bike I got passed by everyone and it wasn't even like I was going slow. I was cruising at 18 mph and I was getting passed like I was sitting still. By the end of the bike, I was sitting in fourth place. The last run sucked. It was so daggone hot that I just couldn't run. There was no air to breathe. I made it through the first 3.1 miles running and walking. On the turnaround I saw Grace and she actually stopped and talked to me. That's how badly this race was going for the bothe of us. With about two miles left I passed a woman for third place and a triathlete caught me and we ran together. It was nice to have someone to talk to. I don't have my official ltime (it's not posted yet) but my watch said 2:51.10. I'm frustrated and a little worried about Muncie, but at the same time, hungry to do better than I did yesterday.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like it was a bad weekend for all of us - the weather caught everyone by surprise. Well, at least you did it, and now can concentrate on doing better next time. Congrats!

Val said...

I'm surprised you didn't melt into a puddle. It is so hot here too & they've been predicting rain for days---nothing! Good for you (I think) for getting out there & competing in this heat. It'll go better next time =) Love you!