Wednesday, January 11, 2006

No Willpower

One of the things I like to do as a coach is to attend other sporting events that my kids participate in. I have already attended several boys and girls basketball games this season so I decided to take in a swim meet last night. It was a good meet. Boys won, girls lost. But it really made me miss swimming.

Swimming is one sport that I have stuck with my entire life. My parents wanted me to have good water skills and not be afraid of water so they started me in swim lessons when I was just 6 months old and I took lessons every year until I was 12. After that I did one year of diving, and then joined the swim team. I didn't stay on the swim team very long as it conflicted with gymnastics, but I've always had a passion for swimming and enjoy doing it recreationally.

I haven't quite figured out, though, how the swimming and biking thing are going to fit into my new HRM training schedule. Initially I had decided that it would be only running with an easy swim on Friday, yoga on Sunday, and maybe an easy bike ride on the trainer also on Sundays. But I want to swim more and work more on my bike. If I do these workouts at 70% or below of my max heart rate, it shouldn't negatively affect my running, right?

So I just read Wil's post about getting up at 3:30 to do a workout before getting her kids up and getting ready for work. I've thought about doing this especially with the swimming. Our gym is open 24 hours and the pool opens at 5:00am. I could definitely get a swim in before work and probably make it to work earlier than if I was at home. But, I have no willpower to get up earlier and work out before work. If someone was depending on me, heck ya I would be there. Me depending on me is a different story. And then there's the issue of getting ready for work at the gym. Not really a problem logistically, but I'm super self-conscious and I just don't think I can do it.

For now, my swimming will remain at one day a week until I figure out how to make it work.

No comments: