Thursday, January 19, 2012

Houston (or the parts I actually left the hotel room for)

First, thank you all for the nice comments in the last post. It means a lot that people care and are willing to be there, even if it's just virtually. I'm working really hard to get and stay well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

As I mentioned in my last post, I was really anxious about our trip to Boston, which caused me to be quite sick before and during our trip. My parents and Dave were especially supportive on this trip and didn't force me to do anything I wasn't comfortable with. So, even though we were there as part of a larger group I skipped out on almost all of our group festivities. This was the only way I could stay calm enough to make it through the weekend. But, I did venture out of the hotel room for a few things.

Friday we got to Houston in the morning and after checking into our hotel and getting some lunch, we headed to the race expo to pick up our stuff. Dave and I are not huge fans of crowds and expos, so we got in, got our stuff, did our thing and got the heck out of there. In contrast my parents spent FOREVER in the expo looking, checking out, and grabbing everything.

Because of the Olympic trials going on, the US Olympic Committee had set up a little village outside of the expo where you could try out different sports. Dave and I got our "credentials" and tried out weightlifting, boxing, table tennis (which kicked our buns), biking, and wheelchair basketball (the hardest thing EVER). Check out our awesome pictures from the Olympic Village.

Saturday morning we watched the Olympic Trials, obviously. We were stationed at the 2,10,18, and 26 mile marks. Our friend and many time relay teammate, Mandy, is supa-fast! and earned her spot to run in the trials. We cheered very loudly for her.

And I love me some Meb. I'm so happy for him.

After the trials we headed back to the Olympic Village where I was super excited to get my picture taken with the one and only Doc Patton.

The rest of the day was spent resting and preparing for the race on Sunday...

1 comment:

Melissa C said...

Great pictures! I love you with Mary Lou. Was she really that short? You look really tall!