Monday, February 06, 2012

On Second Thought

I said last week that I would stop the run streaking if I developed serious pain. I'm struggling with this one. See, two weeks ago I did a hill run on the treadmill and then went directly to yoga from there. Since then I've developed quite a bit of achilles pain in my left foot. It's been bothering me, but not enough to stop a run or not to run. I put ice on it after each run and things seem to be okay. Not great, but okay.

Yesterday after my long run, everything was feeling not so great. So I hopped in an ice bath after the run. As the day went on my hips started to bother me and my achilles was really bothering me. Throughout the day I continued to ice my achilles.

When I woke up this morning it was like a board had been attached to my left foot and it kept slapping the floor. The mobility in my left ankle is very little, my achilles is swollen and hard as a rock. I am going to continue to ice it throughout the day, but may have to make the decision to not run today and stop the streak. I am registered for a race this weekend and a silly run streak goal I sent for myself is not worth jeopardizing a race (not that I'm in it to win it).

What do you think?

3 comments:

Bill Fine said...

ouch! Having dealt with achilles tendinitis previously, I know what you're going through. All the ice and ibuprofen wasn't enough for me, and the only thing that made it go away was rest. I hope you heal up quickly and are able to get out there, but be careful.

Jamie said...

If running will make your foot feel better, do it. (Doesn't sound like it will.)

If rest, massage, ice, etc will make your foot feel better, do it.

Run fitness is worthless if you are broken. Ditch the streak goal, remember when you said you would if you started to get hurt? Stick with that.

Unknown said...

Eeeek... sounds like something's wrong Meredith. I hope you took a rest day and will reconsider this weekend's race. Tom's Achilles injury had him out from running for 5 weeks and he was told that he was lucky it was so short. You don't want that. :(