Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Restart

It's twelve weeks until the marathon and two weeks post toe break, so I figured it was a good time to get back to the training grind.  Yesterday was a track workout that on paper looked like something I could handle given my small hiatus from running.

1 mile warmup
3 X 1600 at 6:30 pace with 1:00 rest interval
1 mile cooldown


1600s by 400.

Everything started fine with my one mile warmup.  I hit it at 8:41.  I was back and feeling good.  Then I started the repeats.  I struggle on the track, I have to admit.  It's so easy for me to stop.  I mean, you're just going round in circles.  Just stop and take a break when you need it.  And of course, stop your watch too.  So easy.  The only really successful track workouts I've had is when Dave is running shoulder to shoulder with me.  Dave loves track workouts, so I know he's not going to stop.  But, yesterday I was on and it was just too easy.  No my toe was not hurting, but I was huffing and puffing and feeling completely out of shape.  It was a bit embarrassing, to say the least.  I was able to get through my miles by doing some 300s, 400s. 600s, 800s - whatever I could do to get it done.  I was counting my steps or counting down the 100s left in the interval.  I was singing with my music.  Nothing was helping.  At one point, I even took off my watch during the interval while it was still running so I couldn't stop during the next lap.

Regardless, I still hit my intervals:
1 - 6:26
2 - 6:25
3 - 6:25

I can do a 6:30 mile in my sleep.  I'm not sure why I freak out about it so much while on the track.  Next time Dave is coming with me and either pacing me or timing me so I HAVE to get the workout done.

Onward and upward.  Welcome back.

No comments: