Thursday, August 08, 2013

Country Boy and Girl Getting Down on the Farm

My sister and I live in two different worlds.  I am hands-down a suburbanite.  I live in a cookie-cutter house, on a postage stamp lot, in a neighborhood of over 300 houses.  I live within a few miles of everything: grocery stores, gas stations, malls, schools, etc.  We are an all-American family: college education, dual income, one child, one dog.  My sister, on the other hand, is 180 degrees the other way.  She lives out in the sticks with neighbors who live acres away.  The houses around her are a pig farm, a chicken farm, and a dairy farm.  Her closest grocery store is over 10 miles away.  There are no stoplights in her town.  Her husband drives a combine. 

Our worlds collided this week at the Hartford Fair.  My oldest niece and nephew were showing their pigs at the fair, so Anderson and I came along to watch (cheer them on?  congratulate them?  what is protocol for a pig show?).  We check out all the animals: pigs, cows, horses, goats, sheep, turkeys, ducks, roosters, and frogs.  We looked at the big tractors.  I also finished off the day with some delicious Velvet ice cream. 

Here's a few pictures from our time at the fair.








No comments: