Friday, June 23, 2006

Beauty Questions

Okay, this a serious post.

My name is Meredith and I have acne. I have had acne since I was a pre-teen and it has only gotten worse as I've grown older. I have been seeing a dermatologist since I was 12 and only recently stopped going because it appeared I was growing out of my acne. But, it seems to have gotten worse again in the last couple of months. This isn't the small breakouts that I get around "that-time-of-the-month" either. These are big, honkin', cystic acne/pimples that physically hurt. How I only wish it was tiny zits.

So what have I tried? EVERYTHING!!! I have done almost every antibiotic known to man. I have done all the facial creams like Retin-A, etc. I have taken birth control specifically for my acne, which has only made me break out worse. I have done over the counter allergy medicines. And I've even done two rounds of Accutane.

I have recently started seeing a plastic surgeon about my skin. I have two sun spots I'm having lasered off this fall and I am also contemplating a chemical peels to get rid of my acne scars. Thing is, I don't want to spend the money on a chemical peel to do away with my scars if I'm only creating more scars. And, I really don't want to call the dermatologist again because it takes FOREVER to get an appointment and I don't want to go through the torture again (all the medicines and creams, etc.).

This week I ordered the 30 day trial for ProActiv. Does this stuff really work? Does this work for hormonal acne or only on surface acne? Will my acne ever go away?!

I'm sure my running doesn't help. I carry acne face wipes in my gym bag that I use IMMEDIATELY after running, but obviously that is not working either. My dermatologist has even suggested to me that I give up running so that my skin will get better. Obviously, that is not an option.

What is a girl to do?

3 comments:

Eris said...

Your Dermatologist suggested you quit running?


I don't have "acne" as it were but I get those huge cysts that last months and eventually leave big purple scars on my face. I got proavtiv and it cleared out my blackheads (hate hate hate that word) right away but didn't seem to do much for my cysts. My mom uses proactiv (I got it for her too) and although it didn't clear up her hormonal acne totally she did notice a difference.

I use the stuff once every other day because it just burns my skin otherwise. Careful on clothes, if you use it on your back and then go to sleep in a tshirt it will bleach the shirt.

That is all the assvice I have.

Meredith said...

Desiree, funny enough...I have ruined every towel I have ever had because I've always used some sort of acne wash that has salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I'll give it a try.

Anonymous said...

For the Love of FRANK!!! Did you ever try the Zap It! stuff from Amy years ago? No I'm sure you didn't. It sounds like your acne is brutal, but it is worth trying. She had success with it. A friend of mine has been on ProActive for years and no uses Zap It and it works better. Do you want to try it? Let me know. I have the complete line including a roll on stick that we call the zit stick. Wouldn't be without it. It comes from the company you think I'm loony over. Tea Tree oil (melaleuca oil) is used in acne treatment. Just FYI