Monday, July 31, 2006

Summer Classic 10 Miler

Yesterday I ran in the Summer Classic 10 Miler in New Albany. As it is in the rest of the country, it was blazing hot right from the start and there was very little shade on this course and, in my opinion, not enough water stops.

I started off pretty conservatively with the first two miles in the 8:00s. Then the times started to go down into the 7:00s. At the first turn I was told I was in 14th place by two different people and that's how I counted it myself. So I took it as a mission to hunt down as many women as I could. I caught one before mile 6 and then I caught two more at mile 7, where I turned my fastest mile 7:08. It took me two more miles to hunt down another and in the last mile I passed one more, who passed me back in the last 100 meters. By my calculation I was the 10th female finisher but the final results I was 12th. I don't know how I missed them, but maybe there weren't too female looking.

Anyway, my final time was 1:16:41, which is a 7:41 pace. That's a PR for me and I'm pretty excited about that. I also finished 3rd in my age group and got a plaque. Dave and my dad also ran the race.

Today kicks-off training for Chicago. I'm pretty sore after the race, but I'm going to stick to the plan and see what goodness comes from it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great race, PR, and podium finish!

PRs are so so hard to pull off in excessive heat - imagine what perfect conditions would have brought you!

By the way, nice new header.

:) said...

Wow...nice time for a 10 miler. Congratulations on the PR...that's what really counts!

Nic said...

Sweet time. I'm *officially* REALLY training for Chicago now, too.

Two months 'till taper!

Probably not the best attitude for Day 1 of training. Good job and good luck!