Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Hate Decisions

Three years ago I felt it in the pit of my stomach. And when my friends nudged me a little, it was a no brainer. I signed up and trained for a half Ironman.

Since that time, I have not gotten on my bike. Not once. No desire, whatsoever.

There's something different this year, though. My stomach feels it again and there's somebody now inside my head saying it's time.

I HAVE to do an Ironman.

Committing to this Ironman, though, is like committing to have a child. And y'all know my fears of having a child. An Ironman takes a full 9 months to train for and you need to sign up a year in advance. The costs are astronomical. My goal would be to do Ironman Florida in 2009, which pushes back my timetable of logically having a child until at least 2010. I'll be 32 in 2010. Is a life goal more important than a life? Is this fair to Dave?

I recently got rid of my bike I hated so much. And this weekend I am going to potentially buy a new bike. If I drop a huge wad of dough on a bike, I'm committed.

I HATE MAKING DECISIONS.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

bah. flim. avoid the na sports races in the us and do an international im! there are AMAZING packages for south american races, new zealand, south africa...speaking of, why not plan for IMSA in 2009 and i'll talk smsmh into letting me race it, too!

Meredith said...

Tempting. I'll have to talk to the coach to find out about this one. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't really have an opinion on the matter (like my opinion matters anyway!), but all I got to say is that I have the utmost respect for anyone who can complete an Ironman. I like to think that I am in pretty great shape, but that is something that is just beyond me, man. I'll stick to weightlifting. Completing an Ironman is such a phenomenal achievement. I don't remember seeing this on your Life List.

Val said...

The flip side of an Ironman vs a child, is that when the Ironman is over, it's over. After the 9 month training period of making the child, then you have to take care of said child. Forever!

(Didn't get my nap today because of said child being noisy the entire time. Said child is going to get clobbered into the ground any minute. I've never had one inkling of desire to do anything remotely related to an Ironman. Even an 1/8 Ironman. Today, however, I'd trade her in for an Ironman! >=( So crabby. Grrrr.)

Anonymous said...

could you consider natural childbirth the equivalent? (HAHAHA!!!!!!!!)
Michelle