Monday, February 18, 2008

Last Chance for Boston Marathon Relay

We awoke yesterday morning to rain and howling wind. Not exactly ideal conditions for a marathon relay around a one mile loop. After calling and talking to my dad we decided to go for it. Dave and I met Dad at the race site and he was NOT happy about the weather. And you know what's funny....Dad was the only person of our relay who got rained on.

This race is very unique as it's a one mile loop that you can do as a 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon, or as a relay. A lot of people use it as a warm up for events in the spring as you can drop out at any mile marker you want to. I ran into my friend Helen at the start and asked her how far she was going and she said until she felt like being done. She ran the whole thing.

We had planned for Dad to run the first 7.2 miles, Dave the next 3 miles, and I would run the remaining 16. Dad did his legs fairly quickly as did Dave. I started off much faster than I anticipated and started cranking off 8:05s for the majority of the miles. By my 11th mile I was feeling pretty tired so Dave took over for 2 miles and then I ran the last three. We came in at 3:35:06 for 11/19 relay teams and 2nd for 3-person teams. The thing that gets me is that my PR for the marathon is 3:35:05 and we didn't even beat that. Next time, Gadget, next time!

There was a photographer at the race and hopefully I'll be able to find some pictures soon to post. I took my camera but because of the rain, I left it in the car.

No comments: