Monday, April 28, 2008

I Suck!

Yesterday I took the maiden voyage on Lucy, my bike, outside. My workout called for a reverse triathlon: 30 minute run, 60 minute ride, 30 minute swim. The run went really well despite having run a marathon just a few days earlier.

Then, the bike. Oh yes, the bike.

When I did my first triathlon five years ago, I had grand delusions that I'd be really good at it since I'm a pretty good swimmer and a good runner. The problem is the bike. Truth be told, I really don't like to bike. It takes so much longer to get in a good workout than running, it's boring and lonely, and it hurts my lady bits. :) Most races I would struggle to keep up a 16-17 mph pace and that would put me dead last in most triathlons. Thank goodness I could catch them in the run. But imagine what it would be like if I could keep in contact on the bike?!

I always blamed my biking skills on my bike I had. It didn't fit and was painful to ride, so I just didn't. And therefore that's why I sucked. Now I got this new, fancy bike and I thought it was going to solve all my problems just because it fit better. It does feel a lot better on my back and my privates and therefore, I enjoy riding it more, but yesterday's ride was one hour and I only did 14.42 miles. Therefore, I SUCK!!!

Seriously, bikers/triathletes out there. You've got to help me. I've read your blogs; I've seen your times. Y'all are FAST! What's up? Sure, I've got to put more time on the bike. That's a given. But what else should I be doing? Do I need to be doing squats and lunges? Are there other exercises? Is this because I'm a runner and my hamstrings rock but my quads are toast? Am I doomed to just be mediocre?

I've got another ride today and based on the weather, it's going to be inside. Maybe with no wind, it will go a little better.

5 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

First, you don't suck. But you did just start back at it, so give yourself a break.

The best answer is to be a better biker you simply have to ride more.

All the time. Out on the road. Different conditions and different types of terrain.

It will come, and so will your comfort on the bike. (More time in the saddle actually means you get more used to the problems with your bits.)

It's a completely different discipline than running, so don't expect to be excellent at it right away. Respect the sport, put in the time, and you'll reap the rewards.

Happy riding!

Unknown said...

I know THAT frustration well... I'm a good runner, and a pretty miserable biker. Others have said that getting better on the bike means spending a lot of time on the bike... but here's an article that says that talent in one isn't necessarily transferable: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11Best.html

As for me, I decided to give up on tri's until I hit my running goals. :)... or until I blow out my knees - whichever comes first.

Anonymous said...

"lady bits"--HA!

Unknown said...

im able is right. more TITS (time in the saddle) is what you need. before you spend too much time riding, though, make sure you're fit properly for the bike. get your aero bars adjust, seat, pedals, etc. and ask the fitter about the best body position. having someone move you into the correct position while you're cycling is VERY helpful.

one other tip is watching your cadence and difficulty. i've found that by not working as hard but spinning faster, i can ride quicker. then again, i've only raced half iron distance and haven't ridden further than 70~ miles at a go, so what do i know? ;)

Unknown said...

oh...and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get generous with the body glide.