Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday Thoughts

Thank you for all the people who chimed in about a coach. I sent a few e-mails on Tuesday, had some discussions with The Husband while biking later that evening, Wednesday morning a decision was made, and by midday yesterday I had workouts laid out for the next couple of weeks. I'm excited to be working with a coach and anxious to get started and see what results may come.

It's been a while since I've done the Thursday Thoughts and I know I have readership that gets tired of all the running and triathlon talk, so back to the Thursday Thoughts.

On Tuesday, Dave and I watched some of the AFI's 10 Top Movies in 10 Categories (or whatever it was called). Some categories we could name most of the movies, some (like Westerns) we couldn't name any. I wound up falling asleep before it was over so I have no idea if they covered my favorite genre--Romantic Comedies. Here is Meredith's top 10 list of favorite romantic comedies.

10. (tie) Music and Lyrics
I don't know why, but I am a sucker for Hugh Grant. Maybe it's the accent, maybe it's the hair, but he can pull off a romantic comedy. And, I love Drew Barrymore. Who doesn't? (And if you really want to love Drew Barrymore, go rent "My Date with Drew.")

10. (tie) Father of the Bride
I've had to relook at this list a million times because this movie should be way higher than #10. I will watch this movie every time it comes on TV. I get choked up when Kimberly Williams accepts the cappucino maker from her dad and says, "I couldn't love anything more" and then Steve Martin says "My sentiments, exactly." Uh, my heart aches just thinking about it.

9. Notting Hill
Of all the movies on this list, I think this one is the most romantic. I love, "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." Sucker!

8. Indian Summer
Perhaps one of my all time favorite movies, although I'm not sure it's a romantic comedy. Elizabeth Perkins is dynamite in this movie and the cast as a whole is genius. If you haven't seen this one, you have to. You'll love it.

7. Doc Hollywood
Maybe I like this movie because it reminds me of my hometown. I have been quoting this movie for years. My favorite line is when Julie Warner says, "You can't poop in this town without everyone knowing what color it is." Classic and so true in a small town. And I love when Michael J. Fox grabs Julie Warner and says, "I don't want Hollywood, I want you."

6. Sleepless in Seattle
Sure, it's Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan and they are the king and queen of romantic comedy, but my favorite character in this movie is played by Rita Wilson. When she starts talking about "An Affair to Remember" and starts crying and her husband says that she's okay....OMG! Tell me you can't watch this clip without laughing. I love this movie forward and backwards.


5. The Wedding Singer
There are so many quotable moments in this movie! "They were cones!" If you were around in the 80s this is the romantic comedy for you.

4. My Best Friend's Wedding
I laughed so hard, I cried. And then my mom bought me lobster claw pot holders. Ha!


3. While You Were Sleeping
"Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack, and I told him...it's while you were sleeping." I kick off every Christmas season the weekend of Thanksgiving by watching this movie.

2. When Harry Met Sally
Billy Crystal is one of the funniest men alive. Just this morning I was laughing at him because of a line he has in "Monsters, Inc." And Meg Ryan, well, she's obviously a favorite of mine because she's all over this list. "I hate you Harry. I really hate you." Seriously, every girl should own this movie.

1. You've Got Mail
I think I can recite every word to this movie. I crack up every time when Parker Posey says "uhhhh, where's my tic tacs!" Of all the Meg Ryan / Tom Hanks movies, this one's my favorite. I only own about ten DVDs and this one gets played over and over.

Honorable Mentions:
Love Actually
Bridget Jones' Diary
Sabrina (the one with Harrison Ford)
One Fine Day
Joe Versus the Volcano
The Wedding Planner

Did I overlook your favorite? What's your favorite romantic comedy?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

much ado about nothing.

emma thompson and kenneth branagh can't be beat.

Michelle said...

Oh, Meredith, I'm surprised I'm only about 50% with you on this one. I couldn't stand Notting Hill, but I love The Wedding Singer, While You Were Sleeping, (both favorites) Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, & Doc Hollywood (I didn't think anyone else remembered that one!) What about Fools Rush In, Bed of Roses, Runaway Bride, A Room With a View, Strictly Ballroom (another favorite), and Shall We Dance (both the original and the one with Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon)? I was thinking of a few more, but I guess they're more of dramas.

Dave said...

Meredith, I'm a little surprised you didn't put "A Knight's Tale" on there. Is that out of the genre?

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Come on--does it get better than "The Cutting Edge"?!?!

Marit C-L said...

Had to chime in on this one, as I spent a LOT of time on the trainer watching romantic comedies. :)

Bridge Jone's Diary 1 - my all time favorite. Love Actually is really good as well (Richard Curtis - who I think also worked on BJD). Also - Jeff mentioned "Much Ado about Nothing" with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh. GREAT! I LOVE IT.

And last but not least - "French Kiss". Really cute, and my other half will watch it with me. If you're a fan of Meg Ryan's, you'll love this one. I thik Kevin Kline is the co-star....

GREAT list!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor who wrote the current bestseller "My Stroke of Insight"? Taylor was a Harvard trained brain scientist who suffered a massive stroke. I don't think we'll ever hear a story like this - Taylor understands how the brain functions and she was able to observe her mind deteriorating. She writes about the euphoric nirvana and a sense of complete peace and well-being she discovered in her stroke and she talks about this in her incredible (don't miss it) talk on TED.com. In the book, Taylor explains how to 'step to the right of their left brain' to uncover a deep internal peace. Meg Ryan was in the audience when Dr. Taylor gave her speech at TED... hey, maybe she'll do the movie and we'll all be able to "have what she's having" to reprise that line from When Harry Met Sally : ) Sign me up!