Friday, July 06, 2012

Westerville Rotary 5K

Despite the craziness of this week, I decided to do a 5K on the Fourth of July.  I had a tempo run on my schedule, so why not?  Why not?  Well that's an easy one.  Because the temperature right now might be cooler on the face of the sun than it is in the Midwest.  I don't know what the temperature was at 8:00am at the start of the race, but it was hot and sticky and liquid air.  I did a short 15 minute warm up and I was already drenched in sweat.



The race was off and I was off with it.  It was a loop course that went downhill first and then back uphill (as much uphill as you get in Central Ohio (none)) towards the finish.  I took off pretty quickly just hoping to do okay.  I quickly realized that this was going to suck.  With this heat, lack of sleep, and the crap we've been dealt this week I just don't have any power in my legs.  By the turnaround point in this race, I was fried.  I wanted to walk, even.  But, I kept my legs moving.  Slowly, but I was moving.  Did I mention I forgot my iPod too, which made this race even more miserable.  Ugh!

Anyway, and unfortunately, I let two women go towards the end of the race.  I just had nothing left to chase them.  In the end, my time was okay for the conditions - 22:52, which is scarily the same pace I used for my last half marathon.  But, according to Dave I was the 10th overall female.  On crappy days, you've got to chase your competition and not the clock.



We stuck around for awards which were inevitably screwed up.  My time wasn't even recorded.  I guess, technically, I didn't even participate in this race.  If that's the case, can I get my money back?  According to the original results I finished second in my age group which netted me a $20 gift certificate to a local running store.  They have since updated the results which now gets me third but still they don't have my time or name.  Either way, I have the gift certificate and I'm gonna be keeping it, dang it!

There was a highlight to the day and that was meeting Miss Molly.  We've seen each other at races before but this was our first time meeting.  It's like I've known her for a very long time.  We hit it off so well.  We live only about 20 minutes apart so hopefully we can do some training together in the future.

Next race....next weekend.

No comments: