Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Race for the Cure 2008

As a runner, I don’t like to run the Race for the Cure. It’s too crowded and you never get up to pace and it’s just not an event you do to run. As a human being, I understand the Race for the Cure and its purpose. The last several years I have not done the Race for the Cure because I am a runner and have a hard time justifying spending nearly $10 per mile to run it even though I know it’s going toward a good cause. Since I now work for one of the title sponsors, I got my admission for “free” and decided to run it.

The race had over 40,000 entrants this year. That’s as many as the Chicago Marathon! But this year they actually separated the running and walking participants. Yay! Still, I lined up at the 7:00 pace and saw that many people around me didn’t look like those who would be running a 7:00 pace. So, I just thought I would treat this as a training run. I saw a friend of mine from Nationwide and we spend the majority of the run talking about Ironman.

Even so, I set a PR in this race…quite possibly for my slowest 5K ever.

26:57

But, I’m glad I did it, appreciated what the race represents, and reflected a lot on those I personally know affected by breast cancer.

No comments: