Thursday, May 01, 2008

And now the rest of the story

You don’t think I spent four days in Boston and the only thing I have to talk about is the actual marathon? Heck no! There was a lot of fun that went down!

We started in the airport at Columbus by shaking our fists at the Skybus airplanes, but then smiling because we didn’t have to get up at four in the morning to catch our plane either.

Our plane ride was made fun by our flight attendant. We got lucky and sat in the front row and held great conversations with her. She told us all the stuff she doesn’t say in her speeches and even told us about her professional wakeboarding boyfriend.

Once in Boston we met up with fellow blogger Meredith, who has a husband named Dave, who has a brother named Jeff. So weird! We had a fantastic pasta dinner and chatted much about running and triathlon. I hope we get to meet them again because I didn’t get a picture. What was I thinking?!

Sunday morning we watched the women’s Olympic trials. It was magical. I especially enjoyed cheering for some of my favorites including Deena Kastor, Desiree Ficker, and Joan Benoit Samuelson.

After the trials we hit the expo which was a mistake. For those of you who don’t know me in real life…let’s just say I have some personal space “issues.” As in, I don’t like to be touched, but I don’t like crowds either. It was absolute chaos just trying to get my number. I yelled at the women handing out the shirts because for the second time in 3 years I was denied a size small because they were out. Come on, BAA, get it right?! Put the shirts in the bags and give people what they’re assigned, not what they ask for. I did apologize to those women but it was also nice that they agree with me. From what I hear, they ran out of mediums too. I would have been pi$$ed had I received a large when I ordered a small. I must say, though, I got a medium and it fits me pretty well. I ran in it yesterday. Although, Andrea, if you’re still interested in switching, I’m willing to switch. The expo was so crowded that I never saw all the merchandise (didn’t matter—I had purchased mine online before the event) and I never found the posters. I really wanted a poster since they usually have all the participants’ names on them. Next time, I’m making sure my flight gets in earlier enough to go early on Saturday.

After a nap, we met our friends for dinner. All 27 of them! The restaurant handled our big crowd very well and dinner was fantastic. Dinner was followed by a trip to Mike’s Pastry where I got a canolli and a Boston cream puff. Riding back on the subway a woman asked me if those were for tomorrow night (Monday after the marathon). I laughed and said no. I was going to have them tonight (Sunday before the marathon). Shoot! The whole race was a celebration and I was going to eat my canolli. Helen and I were a little put off by her comment.

Monday after the marathon we all met up for a pizza dinner. It tasted like a small slice of heaven. Or a small slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza. :) The group dispersed pretty early in the evening as many had early flights to catch the next day and we were all really tired from running the marathon.

Tuesday morning Dave and I spent together. We had breakfast at a wonderful Greek restaurant we found in 2006. The French toast tasted so good. I love eating after a marathon. J Then we went to Niketown where I debated long and hard about getting a new running hat. I always run in a hat and I almost always run in my Boston 2006 hat that my parents got for me that year to celebrate my marathon and my birthday. In the end, I didn’t get the hat and I’m still kicking myself about it. I did sign the wall and wrote: “Meredith just finished her 10th marathon” and scribed it with what I hope my tattoo will be.

Dave and I took morning naps (gosh I love to nap) and then treated ourselves to an ice cream lunch (who doesn’t love ice cream as a meal) while sitting in Boston Common watching the people and enjoying the great weather. Finally it was time to head home and did ourselves good by working ourselves into an earlier flight since ours was delayed and we were going to miss our connection. Dave is so good at customer service.

I had a great time in Boston and thoroughly enjoyed my vacation. I don’t know if I’m going to get to go again next year due to the Ironman training (and I have to requalify) but I love Boston and will go again.


Jason said...

I would've done more than just shake my fist at Skybus! I still haven't got my money back yet!

Man, you'd hate the Arnold Classic. It's waaaaay too crowded there.

Dave said...

We were at the Arnold this year, we just didn't go into the expo. The fencing tournament isn't nearly as crowded. :)

Andrea said...

I wore my boston shirt yesterday, so ya probably don't want it :)