Monday, July 06, 2009

Guest Post - Movie Adaptations!

Hi everyone! This is trusty guest blogger Dave, Meredith's husband. I've been nominated to guest blog tonight because Meredith is currently finishing off the last 20 pages of The Da Vinci Code. We just went out to Blockbuster and rented it, so she's got to finish up before we start the movie!

We've both read the book now, but have not seen the movie. You never really know what you'll get in that situation - the movie can either bring everything to life that you imagined, or can really put a damper on what you had envisioned. So, the question is:

1. What is the best movie adaptation you've seen of a book you had already read?
2. What movie completely ruined a book that you really liked?

For me, the first has to be Lord of the Rings. Loved the books, have read them many times, and went into the movie nervous. Couldn't have been more pleased with the result.

The second...hmm... One would have to be Jurassic Park. Not that it was a bad movie, but something about rewriting endings gets to me! I also remember reading 2001 when I was younger, then renting the movie and being completely confused by it. I'm not sure if it was just because I was too young, or because Stanley Kubrick is kind of a strange guy.

What are yours?

4 comments:

D said...

There's something amusing about the fact that you're updating Mer's blog, but not your own DAVE! :P

So I keep seeing this word "book". Not sure I know what that is.

Michelle said...

1. To Kill a Mockingbird
2. I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty . . . . I almost always think the book is better.

Val said...

1. I'm with you on LotR. Loved both, even if they are different.

2. Cujo. I haven't seen it because a friend told me the ending is COMPLETELY different than the book, and I don't think that's fair!

Marit C-L said...

Hey you two! I thought the book - The DaVinci Code - was much better than the movie. Haven't read LOTR, though... the movies were awesome. I've read Angels and Demons and I'm looking forward to eventually seeing the movie... I know - I'm not being to terribly helpful. Sorry!

A GREAT read - is Pillars of the Earth by KEn Follet. Don't know if it will ever get turned into a movie...but the book was great.

And I am a big Harry Potter fan - but think the books are way better. Can't think of anything else - except maybe Bridge Jone's Diary...in which I though the movie was better than the book.

Oh - and I agree with your assertion on Jurrasic Park. Confusing...there were scenes in the second and third movie that were written in the first book. Humbug!

Miss you guys!