Saturday, July 18, 2009

Working (out) Vacation

I might have been on vacation for the last week, but I didn't take time off from my workouts. I didn't bring my bike and although we had a pool, it didn't lend itself well to swimming laps. But, I did bring my running clothes and have done my running workouts including my track workout.

After some driving around and some research we found a track. Yesterday morning my mom, dad, and I headed to the track. They agreed to walk as long as I was doing my workout. The workout was brutal. I'm starting to wonder as Coach has gone to running as her sport of choice this summer if I'm going to be doing all her workouts the week after she does them? I started out at 8:30am and it was 85 degrees with 100% humidity. Any minute the skies could open up (and they did with one of my sets to go). The plan was for 800s and 400s at descending paces. As hard as I tried I just couldn't live up to what I was supposed to be hitting. Only one of the sprints was actually below a 6:00 pace. I know the weather has a lot to do with pace and overall feeling (I just read about it in Runner's World), but I wish my head would have said, "No Meredith, you can overcome this." I did the workout, but it wasn't the way I wanted it to be.

Tomorrow it's me and the hotel treadmill.

No comments: