Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chasing Bourbon

They suckered me in again.

I have done Reach the Beach five times: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. (I can't find a race report for 2007). Last year the team took a year off as babies were born, people moved, lives changed, etc. I swore I would not do another relay race as the last one just about broke me.

For 2010 the gang decided to try a different type of relay race, The Bourbon Chase. Initially I threw my hat in the ring, but decided to back out because of a lot of reasons: there was a huge waitlist and it was time to give someone else an opportunity; I really wanted (and still want to) qualify for the Halfmax Championships and it was only two weeks before; I am not in fast running shape as I've been training for Ironman exclusively; I had a falling out with a friend on the team; I have a wedding scheduled that weekend....excuses, excuses, excuses. Dave and my dad had already paid their deposits but I told our team captain I didn't want to do it.

Fast forward SEVERAL months and I'm having dinner with my parents last week. Dad mentioned the relay teams still needed another person. Really? What about the waitlist? Gone. Crap! Being that I haven't qualified for Halfmax and now have two weddings that weekend, that excuse is gone. There are still going to be people on the team slower than me. Excuse gone. Falling out with the friend...well, we'll deal with that later. And then the wedding. What to do about the wedding? I only had one scheduled that weekend so I started checking with my employees and they covered it. Excuse gone.

And now, I'm on the relay team again. I'm serious this time. This is my LAST TIME!!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

That's awesome!!! I captained a team last year and am captaining the same team this year.

It's a great race, I think all the bourbon tastings make it a little more fun than your average relay!