Wednesday, May 01, 2013

I'm a Reading Fool

I've been a reading fool.  I finished three books in April alone.  When you're up half the night feeding the baby and trying to get him back to sleep, it's easy to get some reading done.  I have found it really great to be able to read books on my iPad and thankfully our library has a great selection of e-books (although I wish they had more).

Books I read in April:

"Sway" by Amber McRee Turner
I actually got this book free on iBooks from a promotional card at Starbucks.  This is a story about a girl who idolizes her mother, but finds out that it's her dad that is the hero.

"Forever" by Judy Blume
This book was like reading a teen romance novel.  Quick read, but a little trashy and inappropriate for a Judy Blume book.

"That's Why I'm Here" by Chris Spielman
Every Columbus-ite knows Chris and Stefanie Spielman.  They're legendary here.  Chris played football for OSU and eventually in the pros.  Stefanie, his high school sweetheart and wife, got breast cancer at the age of 30 and succumb to it 10 years later.  This is their story as written by Chris.  I used to teach their youngest daughter gymnastics and frankly, was quite intimated by the Spielmans.  This book is sad, but powerful and peaceful.

What are you reading?  What can you recommend (that I can get read in 21 days from the library)?

2 comments:

TriMOEngr said...

The last few years, I've mostly been into non-fiction with a heavy lean towards inspirational athletes. I really like Chrissie Wellington's book "Life without limits" - though more for the non-athletic endeavors of her life than the fact she is a wicked fast Ironman athlete. I'm currently reading Tyler Hamilton's book. It is ok. I liked Matt Long's book (The Long Run). I also read Kristen Armstrong's "Mile Markers" which I liked a lot. I also liked some of Dean Karnazes books - 50/50 was probably my favorite. I have some book reviews on my blog (no books sent to me - all I got from the library or purchased myself - just like to read and share).

Jason Bodak said...

I read "The Magic Labyrinth" aka Book 4 of Philip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld" saga. You wouldn't like it, but Dave probably would.
I also read Rex Brown's autobiography. He was the bass player for Pantera, the best metal band of the 1990s. It's an unflinching look at a lifestyle none of us could even comprehend.
Right now, I'm TRYING to read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" but it's way too artsy-fartsy for me.