Thursday, June 06, 2013

I love my treadmill!!!

If you remember, I got a new treadmill for Christmas.  I used it a ton during the winter as it was cold, I was pregnant, and I just didn't want to be outside.  Now that the weather is better and the baby is here, I still am using it every week to supplement my weekly workouts.  And I still love it!  (Well, maybe not as much as EMZ loves her treadmill, but I like it a lot.)

Yesterday I had planned on running at the park and doing a long trail run, but time slipped away from me and I didn't get to.  I thought I would do the run this morning, but when I woke up it was pouring outside.  Ugh!  Nevermind.  So, I decided to give it a go on my treadmill using all the incline features.  I chose a challenging workout that was supposed to take me 1 hour, would get me somewhere around 5 miles, and would burn like a zillion calories.  This workout was no joke.  After a short warmup the incline started and progressed basically every couple of minutes.  It just kept inclining and inclining and went all the way up to 12% THREE times!!!  I was barely jogging at that speed, but I was trying.  And I was dripping sweat everywhere!  I had hoped to start the program over at the end of the hour to get in 9 total miles, but I was wiped out at the end of that mile and had only made it 4.28 miles.  Dude, if I plan on doing this whole trail running thing, I might have to use the incline features on the treadmill more.  Which will totally suck, but sure will make me a better runner.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I recently read an article that I CANNOT find again about Leanda Cave running on the treadmill on a steep incline after a crash that left her with a rib injury because slow incline running was the only thing that didn't aggrevate it. She came back from her injury running faster than ever and credits the uphill running. Stick with it!