Friday, January 23, 2015

Things I Love: My Nathan Hydration Belt

I'm pretty OCD when it comes to hydration during my runs.  I only drink water and I drink on specific intervals.  On the treadmill I take a swig every 2-1/2 minutes.  On the roads I drink every mile on the mile.  This, obviously, requires me to bring water with me.  Now, I know there are a lot of yous out there who love your handhelds.  I have one.  It's cool.  But I cannot carry that sucker more than 6 miles.  It hurts my arm, it hurts my hand, and it just gets in the way.  Therefore, I carry my Nathan Hydration Belt...

This isn't the exact belt I have, but similar.

Each bottle holds 10 ounces of water which can get me through about a half marathon.  When I'm out training I will stop at my parents' house or the library and refill my bottles when I need more water during a long run.  In my last marathon, because the water stops were every other mile, I wore the belt and had Dave meet me at the half way point and hand off full bottles to me.

The belt also has a pouch that can hold quite a bit.  I have fit 7 gels in there, which is plenty for a marathon.  Mine also has a small compartment on the front flap that I will put my house key or some chapstick.

One thing I love about the Nathan pack as opposed to other packs I've tried is that it fits and does not bounce around.  I love this!  Despite the weight that is on my hips, I don't notice it, it doesn't get in the way while I'm running, and it doesn't seem to affect my pace or gait either while I'm running.

Do you have a favorite piece of running "equipment"?  What is your go-to hydration system?

2 comments:

Carina said...

Ugh, I hate the water belt I wore when I first started running distance. I am sure the main reason I train with a group is for the social aspect, but honestly, the other big competing training program is similar except you run more solo -- I could live with that. For me, the key is that they both have water stops every 2 miles during the week and for long runs. I can't stand carrying my own water. On the rare long out of town run, I'll either carry a handheld or try to find some way to stash bottles along my route.

Jackie said...

I detest the hand-held bottle, makes my arm hurt. I have a Nathan waist pack too which hold 4 bottles. My new favorite is a Nathan race vest with a 70 ounce bladder. It is even more comfortable than the waist pack. Great for runs 3+ hours.