Friday, March 06, 2015

Recovery Runs - A Pet Peeve

Soabox out.

It really grates on my nerves when I read on social media, "I just did my recovery run at a 7:XX pace!  I'm getting faster!"  People!  That is not a recovery run!  Unless you're freaking Meb Kaflezighi a recovery run shouldn't be done that quickly.  A recovery run is typically done at 1-1/2 to 2 minutes slower than your 5k pace.  It repairs your muscles and gets the recovery juices flowing.  Plus there's science behind it and stuff that you can research yourself.  And why wouldn't you want to take an easy day every couple of days to just chill out and enjoy the sunshine on a nice, EASY, run?

Salty Running wrote an article about it this week.  Check it out here.

Soapbox put away (for now).

1 comment:

middleagedrunner said...

UGH this is my pet peeve TOO!!!! Over the years I have become uptight about runs being for certain things- speed work for speed, long runs for slow endurance, recovery for RECOVERY. Believe me, you will not recover running fast! (rant! rant!)