Saturday, April 11, 2015

Running Friends - Good for the Soul

The last time I ran with friends was at the end of December when Amanda came home for the holidays and joined us.  I have done 100% of my training since that time by myself.  I don't mind training alone, it builds character, but sometimes I miss my friends.  For my last weekend run I got a babysitter and headed up to Highbanks to see my friends and enjoy a group run.

It was so good for the soul.  Having a cold this week and being in the taper, I was feeling quite blue about my race next week.  But six miles with my friends was a great pick-me-up.  Plus it was a fast pace and I was able to hang quite easily (and it didn't hurt that they told me I looked as fit as they've ever seen me).  This run was a turning point in this taper and I'm now very excited for the marathon.

I love having a coach.  It takes the thinking out of training and keeps me accountable to my training plan and goals.  But every once in a while it's nice to share a run with my friends and enjoy a lovely Saturday out on the trails. 

Do you run with a group or a friend?
How much training do you do solo?

1 comment:

Carina said...

I'm 100% a group runner. My running buddies are actually my best friends, aside from my husband. Just getting hours and hours of talking time (and suffering time) each week means we're very close. I run alone occasionally (mostly on my commutes) and I don't like it anywhere near as much.