Monday, February 13, 2006

Weekend Roundup

This weekend was a busy one. The weekend included two birthday parties (one for the nephew, one for the sister), two basketball games, a family meeting with vacation presentations (he he he), two runs, and a lot of Olympic watching.

Friday I ran 6 miles on the treadmill at the gym. It was a good run and I felt really strong.

Saturday morning we ran 12 miles at Highbanks. The first 6 miles were good, but I struggled a little in the second 6 miles, although I turned in even splits. I'm sure not running for a week and having a cold probably had something to do with it.

Today's run is supposed to be 8 miles with 4 at 1/2 marathon pace. It's been snowing this morning, though, so I don't know how that will work out and I didn't bring any shorts to do the run on the treadmill if need be. I don't know what I was thinking. I always pack shorts just in case of having to run inside.

I must say, I have really enjoyed the Olympics thus far. I'm more of a summer sport fan than a winter fan (I don't care for the figure skating) but I have really enjoyed the speed skating and halfpipe competitions. I don't know how many days in a row I'm going to be able to stay up until 11:30 watching the competitions, but I'll sure try.

An update on the airline crap. We booked a flight out of Dayton on Saturday April 15th. The flight doesn't leave all that early (around 8:00) but I think we decided to stay at a hotel in Dayton on Friday night so we don't have to get up in the middle of the night to drive there. I'm glad that stress is taken care of.

It was a good weekend (especially to be a Buckeye--both men's and women's teams won).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i rant about the olympics every time they come around. i'm a purist (read 'anal') when it comes to the games and feel that any sport that has subjective scoring should not be in the games. so, all the events that are judged by a pannel...out. no more gymnastics, no more figure skating, no more trampolining and diving. just events where you're racing the clock, eachother or measuring distance.

okay...now i can put the soapbox away. heh.

my flight schedule is ugly. work needs me in st.louis on the 18th, so we're flying in on wednesday, and then out on the 18th to st.louis. our tickets are a little more than what you mentioned, but then again, we're flying from oc to boston, boston to st.louis, st.louis to oc.

Meredith said...

I'm more anal about the Olympics staying amateur than allowing the pros to play. They already have their championships.

I hear ya on the judging thing. Being a former gymnast (did I mention I'm only 5'1"?), it sometimes seems that it's all about who you are instead of what you do. But even back in the day when I did gymnastics, routines were put together based on point values for different elements. This continues to be the way gymnastics is judged and is now the way skating is judged. It makes more sense, but does seem very robotic.

I like the Olympics because it showcases athletes trying to achieve their dreams, something they've worked for their whole lives, usually knowing that they will not make a whole lot of money for their efforts. It's just a love of sport. Love it!!!