Thursday, July 16, 2015

July Hip Update

It's been 8-1/2 weeks since I last ran.  Today was my July appointment for my hip.  The doctor asked me about my activity level, gave me the stink eye when I mentioned I was doing some walking, and tested out my strength. And then he gave me the best news ever, I could return to running!!!

Sort of.

My doctor has a "Return to Running" plan that has 11 steps going from walking to elliptical to jogging to building intensity to returning full time to training.  Because I had already started walking I blew through steps 1 and 2.  Overachiever!  So, I'm now onto at least 2 weeks of elliptical training, building from 20 minutes to 40. 

In addition because I continue to have pain in my outer hip and my hamstring, I will be starting physical therapy next week to begin to strengthen all the muscles. 

I'm super psyched to get running again.  The extra 5 pounds I gained too are extra excited to start the training too.  It might be another 8-12 weeks getting back into real training but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel now.

No comments: